Micro-Blog-a-Thon

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I Have Antibodies

I decided now was as good a time as any to write my post for the day. So, I'm just taking a little break from studying to write about how I've been studying all day, and answer the most burning questions about the universe. So here goes.

Actually, I did more than just study today. I also went for a jog (training for my 5k in a couple of weeks), and after that, I got a phone call from the medical school's "professional assistant", saying "Can you make it back in? We have a thing that this afternoon that we forgot to tell you about."

It turns out the "thing" was the "Council of Elders", and while that may sound like something that you would see on Survivor, it really was a part of my Intro to Clinical Medicine class, and they had these older folks come in, and a 'Geriatrician' from Indianapolis was here, and we talked about issues that these older people had had to deal with in their encounters with the medical profession.

Then after that, I studied all day. For my 2-week-long Immunology class. At least at the South Bend center its a 2- week class. In other centers they have a longer time with it. But we all take the same final exam, so I kind of think they have an advantage, as far as grades go... but, oh well. I guess that happens.

And now, on to the burning question for the day:
(Still on the subject of dreams, and not really an original question)

The question:
How do we know that 'dreams' aren't our real life, and this 'real life' isn't just really a bunch of dreams?

The answer:
Well, I guess we can't really know that for sure. But I think what we can say is that if 'dreams' are in fact our real life, then we do a lot of sleeping (at least I do), because I rarely remember my dreams. Or at least we do SOMETHING so that we don't remember anything. And maybe that's just what happens. They say that nobody gets enough sleep anymore, so it would be nice if this non-sleeping "real life" wasn't real, and we got plenty of sleep in our REAL real life.

I hope that cleared it up for everyone. Of course maybe this could answer the last question (at least if we assume that dogs are real) because if we have dogs in this "real life" dream-world, then of course they do dream.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, it's a true philosophical quagmire. how can you really trust your senses at all? how can you disprove a matrix-type scenario? what can we truly know about this world? epistimology (sp?) and ontology... we all live by faith every day. any truth you accept is a jump to conclusions. you should read sophie's world sometime. it seems like a kid's book, but depending on how much philosophy you've read (not much in my case), it's a great primer and raises some interesting questions.

    ReplyDelete