Micro-Blog-a-Thon

Thursday, October 9, 2008

I know kung-fu...

Yesterday I went to the ENT (aka otorrhinolaryngology!!!) physical diagnosis session. It was prett cool. We learned how to use the otoscope, which is harder than it looks (but happily, I figured it out)... In addition, I learned how to use a little mirror to look down someone's throat and "visualize the larynx". Which is a fancy way of basically saying--"look at their vocal cords". It was pretty cool. I had this head lamp on and everything. :)

I have to be honest, it was really good to do something school-related that I actually enjoyed! Not that I can say the same thing about the exam I took this afternoon, or the studying that I'll do tonight, tomorrow, and all weekend for the cardiology exam I have on Monday... (nothing against cardiology, just all the studying)

I am looking forward to being able to actually DO something in medicine, rather than just study all the time. Now, don't get me wrong, I know its important to learn pretty much all of the stuff that I'm trying to memorize right now, but its not really the stuff that I enjoy... I see it as more of a hoop to jump through so I can actually do my job.

So of course, I'm liking it that we're getting into the hospital this year, and I'm glad that I'm finally learning physical diagnosis... I just want to skip the learning part, and be really good at it right now. We had a PD (physical diagnosis) session on Sunday, and to be honest, I did OK. We were mostly doing cardio exams, and listening to murmurs and stuff. And like I said, I did OK. But of course there were a few little things that I didn't do absolutely perfect. And my instructor was sure to point those things out to me... So hopefully I'll get that stuff right next time. I would just really like to be able to just them all perfectly right now.

Anyway, that's pretty much the story of life right now... wishing I knew more than I do... and I suppose there's really only one solution to that... (unless they've come up with a way to just upload everything into my head like they did on "The Matrix" when Neo learned kung-fu) and of course, that solution is to study more...




And since that was just a movie (or was it...?!?), I guess I'll have to study more!

No comments:

Post a Comment