Micro-Blog-a-Thon

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hail to the Chief

Well, in order to title this post, I had to consult that old pneumonic mnemonic "I before E except after C, or when sounding as A, like is 'neighbor' or 'way', and on weekends and holidays, and all throughout May... and you'll always be wrong, no matter what you say." (1) If you hadn't guessed, I never really "got" that rule. I would like to do away with the "-ie-" all together (although not the 'i.e.', I'm a big fan of that one). In addition, I also want to add the letter Φ (phi) to replace "ph" (of maybe just make it an "f"), and Θ (theta) to replace "th". But of course no one asked (and who am I to think I could succeed where Teddy Roosevelt failed?). And since we're talking about it, I would like some consensus on the letter "y". Is it a vowel? A consonant? Is it resonant?!


Wow, I got sidetracked. As I was saying, hail to the chief... As a pseudo-Notre Dame student, I had heard that President Obama is coming to give the commencement speech here this year. I hadn't given it too much thought, other than how much better of a speaker they'll have than was at my college graduation. I didn't realize there was such the furor over it. I guess even with crucifixes in every study room at the library (which I have developed a profound inability to study without), I forgot just how Catholic of a place it is. And how strongly the Catholic stance is on the issue of abortion. There has been quite the furor over it.

Works Cited:
1. (2009). Goodreads. Retrieved March 29, 2009, from Quotes by Brian Regan Web site: http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/98398.Brian_Regan

1 comment:

  1. Ol' D'Arcy's really sticking to his guns. The whole thing is really stick, especially since they let Bush speak there when he is for the death penalty (which apparently Catholics aren't?).

    ReplyDelete