Micro-Blog-a-Thon

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Day One (actually day 8)

Today is my eighth day of medical school (if you don't count the weekend). Actually, technically the ninth, if you take into account that it is now after midnight. Anyways, today has been quite an eventful day.
Today, I started out by dragging myself out of bed after about 4.5 hours of sleep last night (I was catching up on reading from Gray's Anatomy because the bookstore didn't have it and I just finally got ahold of a copy). I then had breakfast and took the short drive from my place to the medical school. Upon my arrival, I had class, and then after that class, we waited on our professor, who overslept by about an hour and a half. Anyway, that was a little frustrating, but I got some studying done during that time. It was a telltale sign that we actually care about what we are learning, because nobody in the class was really even thinking about leaving or the "15 minute rule". Either that or everybody is still too timid to actually skip class. I'll go with the former, but only because I'm feeling optimistic.
Anyway, Dr. Dave finally showed up, and so we had class. After the lecture, we went down to the basement for lab, where we were dissecting the axilla. As it turns out, it takes a long time to dissect the axilla, but I really enjoyed the very end of lab, when we finally got to see what we were looking for. It was just really cool. I wouldn't way I love the brachial plexus, but its close...
After that, I ran home really quickly, ate dinner (which really means I threw some food together that may or may not have made any sense), then went out looking for the books that I still need, and the campus bookstore. I found one. But the other one is still on order, and I 'm not sure when it will get in. The whole situation with the books is very frustrating, because I just feel that the bookstore was told that all 16 of us were going to be buying these books (they can't really be done without for this class), and that there are in fact 16 of us, and they were told in time, and the books exist, and so why couldn't they just get them, and make everyone's life a little better. Oh well, I guess it's not the end of the world, but its just the latest in a long string of things that this school does that are completely disorganized.
But I am glad that I came here. I guess I could be in Texas right now, but somehow I just don't feel like that would have been the place for me. I am glad to be here. I like what I'm doing so far, I like being in Indiana--being a resident, and having similar background to everyone else is great. My final thought is that med school is a lot of work. I kind of feel like med school is (in terms of work) what I thought college was going to be like before I started (i.e. studying all the time, no time for fun or anything but school). So in some sense I'm glad its a lot of work. But at the same time it is tiring. So much so that I may fall asleep right here. So I'll bid you all adieu. I don't know what that means, but people say it when they're leaving. Which I am. So goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment