Micro-Blog-a-Thon

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Oh no!, Its, its, ...retrospect!!! AAHHH!

And so we come to the end of another weekend. A real one though, not one spent studying or working or doing anything remotely stressful. I watched a lot of basketball, did some relaxing, both by myself and with friends, and had an all-around good time.

I'm just about done with my first year here, and it was a nice night, so I was just sitting on my front porch relaxing, and I had a couple thoughts I thought I would share.

First, I've got it pretty good (not to brag, I just forget that sometimes). In reality, my biggest problems in life right now are things like "oh no, I have to study ALL NIGHT", or "I have to read all of that by WHEN?". And there's nothing stopping me from imagining a whole other set of problems as well. But in reality, it could be SO much worse.

Second, I need to relax... I spend so much time studying and obsessing over my grades, and studying all the time, that, well, its just not healthy. Moreover, I don't think that it helps all that much. I mean of course I need to learn the stuff, but does that last hour spent going over the material for the 18th time really help that much more than if I spent that same hour doing something else like (heaven forbid!) sleeping? I think not. (But of course, I say this now, in one of my "sober moments", at the end of a weekend--its a lot harder to say that the night before an exam)

So in the future, I plan to work had to finish out my last class of first year (I mean its only 3 more weeks, right?), but I don't plan to kill myself with overstudying. Maybe I won't get an "Honors Pass", but then again, maybe I will. What I am going to do is learn as much as I can, as well as I can--not because of a grade, but because it's important.

3 comments:

  1. I try not to retrospect much. Then I would want to plan for the future better! (I think?)(maybe not!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt - I cannot believe that you are about to come to the end of your first year! Yay! Your are doing it! You are amazing! I am so proud of you! Hang in there the next few weeks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the whole anxiety reduction thing, but if you weren't so obsessive, would you be in medical school in the first place? Maybe! Either way, it sounds like a decent idea.

    ReplyDelete