Micro-Blog-a-Thon

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Shaken...

Walking around the hospital yesterday afternoon trying to see all of my patients, I came to a place that I hadn't been before. Not surprising, since I've only been there a grand total of about 5 days--but that's not the point. Some will remember the videogame "Goldeneye" (the greatest game ever, by the way). Well, I finally felt like I was living the game. Not because I was sneaking around trying to "get" my friends with the "Golden Gun", but because basically every time I played that game, I spent the entire time lost, and just wandering around hoping to run into someone else. Mostly I'm just trying to find my patients in the hospital, but I'm still a little lost a lot of the time. I guess what I'm trying to say is (and I honestly NEVER thought I would say this): Medical school is like playing "Goldeneye"!

So, anyway, here's my list of why medical school is like "Goldeneye"!
  1. On the first day of med school in South Bend, I was presented with a "proximity card", which I had to use to get into the parking lot. "Proximity cards" are a little bit like "Proximity mines" in the game, which means every single morning was (for me) like playing Goldeneye!
  2. At the end of every game in Goldeneye, there were "awards" given out to different players, like "Most Cowardly", "Sharpshooter", etc. Well, in med school, at the end of every clerkship, we get a grade, and our preceptors write comments about us, like "Gunner", "Sniper", or "Consistently prepared".
  3. If you get shot in Goldeneye, red "blood" comes down your screen, and then you're done. Well, in med school, there's a lot of blood flying around, especially in the operating room. And for whatever reason, it seems to like to find me, and get all over the plastic facemask you have to wear in the OR, effectively mimicking the "blood-running-down-the-screen" screen in Goldeneye.
  4. The aforementioned "lost-all-the-time" feeling.
  5. Last, but not least, is the fact that we get to use really awesome gadgets, just like James Bond does. Like in laparoscopic surgery. Or robotic surgery.
OK, I'll be honest, sometimes I pretend that I'm James Bond. But hey, sometimes you just need a little excitement to get you out of bed at 3:30 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment