Micro-Blog-a-Thon

Friday, June 12, 2009

Where AM I?!?

It is official; I've moved to Indianapolis! As always, moving was an adventure. This time, it was made even more so by the fact that my roommate and I were trying to save money by not renting a moving truck. The result of that was that we used my parents' van and trailer and his car to move everything that we had in South Bend to Indianapolis. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, but we had that van packed. Using the rear-view mirror on the windshield was out of the question (not a big deal), and also, I had to make sure that the stuff that was sitting in the front passenger's seat was not obstructing my view to the right as I was driving. It was an experience, especially in the city.

But everthing made it in one piece (I think), and I've spent the past few days getting my apartment all set up and ready to live in. I'm pretty sure that I'd better get it all set up before I start clerkships next week, because if I don't there's really no telling when (or if) I would have time to do it after that.

I've finally got my assignment for what hospital I'm at for my first clerkship, and I've read over what's expected of us (imagine this—they expect me to actually DO things...), I've got my hippocampus all fired up and I'm just about ready to go, which is good, because orientation is on Monday, and then theres these "intersession" workshops on Tuesday and Wednesday, and I actually start on Thursday.

Anyway, to start out my "clinical years" of medical school, I thought it might be a good idea to make a list of some things that I'm hoping to get out of it. So, here we go:

  1. Learn how to do medicine
  2. Figure out what I want to be when I grow up
  3. Avoid losing my mind
  4. Avoid screwing anything up too royally
  5. Have some kind of a life outside the hospital
  6. Try not to look dumb
That's the major portion if my list. Other things that I've considered include: try to get into a Sports Medicine elective during the Super Bowl when it's here in 2011, schedule a foreign elective in Africa right before or right after the World Cup in 2010, then sneak on over to Johannesburg and watch some futbol. Also, if I could combine medicine and being a rock star, that would be great.

1 comment:

  1. 1st: I have to get down to Indy some weekend
    2nd: Yes, you can be in my band

    ReplyDelete