Micro-Blog-a-Thon

Saturday, October 17, 2009

So here's the deal. I don't think I'm gonna be a pediatrician when I grow up. But there are a few things about it that could convince me to change my mind.

So, why wouldn't I want to be a pediatrician? Well, for starters, having to use the term (notice I didn't say "word") "kid-o" in the workplace is kind of a dealbreaker. And apparently pediatricians LOVE that term (again, didn't say "word"). So, if that's part of the job description, then I think I'm out.

Why else?

Now, I hope I don't offend anyone here, so just hear me out on this. Pediatrics is a lot like veterinary medicine. That's right, I said it. And I'm not just trying to say that kids are 'little animals' or something. What I really mean is there are some real similarities. For starters, most animals can't talk to the veterinarian, just like most infants can't tell you what's wrong/where it hurts. Also, animals are usually brought to the veterinarian by their owners. Likewise, kids are usually brought to the pediatrician by their parents.

There's a couple of reasons not to be a pediatrician. Now on to what might change my mind...

First off, kids are pretty cool for the most part. Maybe it's just a psychological byproduct of K selection or something, but I have actually been liking the little kids, especially the babies. Its pretty satisfying to see a kid that comes in to the hospital with croup or something fully recovered, and walking out the door.

Second, and probably more important, is that if I was to be a pediatrician, I've come up with an outstanding band name for the rock and roll band that I'll obviously be starting once I get out in practice... This, like all works of genius, just came to me. So, are you ready for it? Really? Ok, get excited, cause I am...

Here it is: "Babies with Scabies"! How is that not awesome?

Anyway, that's all I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment